- Prepare to sell your house
Home selling has become more complex than it used to be. New seller disclosure statements, longer and more mysterious form agreements, and a range of environmental concerns have all emerged in the past decade.
Did you know well-placed furniture can open up rooms and make them seem larger than they are? Or that opening drapes and blinds and turning on all lights make a room seem bright and cheery?
It’s a fact: acquiring the highest market value and elevating your home above others in the same price range often comes down to first impressions.
Here are some inexpensive ways to maximize your home’s appeal:
• Keep the grass freshly cut.
• Remove all yard clutter.
• Apply fresh paint to wooden fences.
• Paint the front door.
• Weed and apply fresh mulch to garden beds.
• Clean windows inside and out.
• Wash or paint home’s exterior.
• Tighten and clean all door handles.
• Ensure gutters and downspouts are firmly attached.
• Remove excessive wall hangings, furniture and knickknacks
(consider a temporary self-storage unit).
• Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
• Shampoo carpets.
• Clean and organize cabinets and closets.
• Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
• Clean all light fixtures.
• Turn on all the lights.
• Open drapes in the daytime.
• Keep pets secured outdoors.
• Play quiet background music.
• Light the fireplace (if seasonally appropriate).
• Infuse home with a comforting scent like apple spice or vanilla.
• Vacate the property while it is being shown.
- Find a Realtor®
In the maze of forms, financing, inspections, marketing, pricing, and negotiating, it makes sense to work with professionals who know the community and much more. Those professionals are the local Realtors who serve your area.
- Set the list price of your home
Several factors, including market conditions and interest rates, will determine how much you can get for your home. In other words, home selling is part art, part science, part marketing, and part negotiation.
- Market your house for maximum exposure
Your Realtor should share a marketing plan with you, but the more you know about the process of selling your home the easier it is to support your Realtor’s efforts. Make your home sell fast with these tips.
- Negotiate a real estate offer
Perhaps the most complex moment in the sales process comes when you get an offer for your home. Whether you have one offer or several to consider, these tips will help you navigate the negotiation.
- The art of settling
When you have a signed contract with the buyer for your home, you may feel as if you can breathe a sigh of relief. But before you can completely relax you need to get to the settlement table.
- Plan your move
Some of the activities required to sell your home can actually help with the moving process. For example, by cleaning out closets, the basement, and the attic, you will have less to do once the home is under contract.
8. Pricing your property